Remove this ad

Lead

May 23 11 1:42 PM

Tags : :

I have meet some nice people threw the years, real down to earth people, but lately i don't know, but im coming across a lot of snobby people, that look you up and down in there new fancy suits and trims bragging about all the cloths they are buying, but when you see them a few months later, there still wearing the same cloths when the first time you seeing them, i don't get the picture, now i'm not having a go about anyone just speaking my mind, it was once said from some one on this site when it started as pow site,  IF there one thing i cant stand is when a mod walks into a do, wearing a parka it makes them sick i have done it lots of times mostly when i use to go to sleepless nights that's where my little cloths spy was, but he's forgets i have a helmet in my other hand and i have a scooter, parked out side all he wants to do is put me down, is that not being a snob, i have done the mod thing for years and years so i don't have to wear a suit any time i go to a do, i don't have to put down people i know for years and i don't want to be a snob, i'm working class and down to earth person, now boys i hope you liked my little rant as i said i speak my mind so don't pick me up wrong on this post !!!!!

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

donie

One of the Faces

#1 [url]

May 24 11 1:37 AM

Joe I would like to think that there is not to meny snobby mods out there. But I would aggree with you that there are some people out there that do sometimes look down at others. It would not bother me in the slightest what other mods are and arent wearing. I do like to see mods that are done up to the nines. The spanish mods that were over for modfest were the dogs when it came to being dressed for the do's.
I wear what I want to wear and what makes me feel good. If I want to wear a parka ill wear it and I dont care what anyone thinks or says.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 24 11 3:38 AM

Nice one Donie, yes some people are there ok, i even know a few of them that i hung around with, i know i go on slagging Weller, most of that is having a giggle, but not hurt or to harm i agree Weller, is a great song writer, cant take that away from him but he's not my Father....

What im getting at is, one night my self and my wife was out at a do, she dose not go to much of them yes my own so called mates that i knew from the 80s, are talking about my self, i was of talking to some one else a the time, but what she heard them saying about my dress code she was not happy so she walked up to them, and said why are you talking about Joe, right away they said we are not, but my wife's friend said you's where and its not nice what your saying about him, right away they reply we look up to Joe, bull  shit my wife said, you's said you cant stand him and the state of the cloths he is wearing, from that night i lost the fun of being a Mod, and it cut me deep for some reason, sorry for going on like this lads and girls, but 'im just letting you know there is a lot of the snobby thing going on in the Mod thing lately, and the past as i found out who your real friends are, the people on this site are Mods real mods, in my books good people when you meet them and talk to them face face ....hope i'm not  going on just tell me to shut F***ing up but mod hurts sometimes lads

jkx 

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 24 11 9:02 AM

Mod,  and the roots of Mod was working class people who embraced the working class tenet that while you may not possess much money, you can look as good if not better than those in the middle or upper-middle classes. Looking shrarp and well dressed became a sort of social capital; materially you may not have much, or you may work in a shitty job but that doesn't mean that you can't dress well. Simply, have a look at some of the hob knobs that populate Trinity, Dalkey or some of the so-called elitist clubs and pubs in Dublin and have a look at what they're wearing........truly awful, zero taste, zero thought........all weraing the same labels, hilfiger, Gant, etc. etc. When I see these people, I know myself that they may have more money than me but that can't compensate the poor sods for the fact that they dress like a bag of sh*te when compared to Mods I know.

As for within the Mod scene. Mod and the Mod look is predomenantly a male domain and males are naturally competitive, whether that be business, sport, etc. So within Mod, the same applies and there is competition within it. Like any other grouping there is a hierarchy.....Ace Face, top Faces, Tickets, Numbers, etc. and a lot of it is based on a person's clothes. I've gone through all the phases......wearing a parka and Fred Perry and thinking I'm a top Mod, Harringtons, Smedleys, Suits.....there's a diverse range of clothes. That said, there is some snobbery within it.......now I'm not talking about slagging but on sites like modculture.com forum it can be quite vicious.

I used to worry about stuff like that, like what people thought of me or what I was wearing or was I wearing it right. I only got back into the Mod scene proper in 2004 and I was always worried what people thought of my clothes, you'd be outside a venue bricking it before going in. I suppose there's that feeling of wanting to be accepted by other people in all of us. Now, I don't give damn, I do the Mod thing for myself and myself only, so I don't really care too much of what people are thinking of my clobber. As long as me (and my missus) likes what I wear, then that's good enough for me. There's great friends and people within the Mod scene, so Joe, don't let some silly comments from a small number of people put you off. Take it as a compliment that people are expecting you to suited and booted the whole time. I was at Bubbles on Sat night and loads of different styles there.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 24 11 2:23 PM

Mod is a working class culture.
But there has to be a certain amount of "one upmanship" in it.
I want to have the best suit, best shoes, I seek approval from fellow Mods.
I cant help it , thats just part of Mod to me.
I only seek approval though from fellow Mods I respect. they have to have IT.
if they dont , I could'nt give a shite what they think.
they may as well be a fecking scooterboywink.
Jk is a Mod I respect (despite his comments about Mr Wellersad)
But even within the Mod family, there are numpty's,the ones that speak behind your back!!! uncool.
feck the begrudgers Joe. Keep on keeping on.

Always checkout the shoes

Quote    Reply   

sleeplessnights

Got me parka now

#5 [url]

May 24 11 6:27 PM

hey Joe with ya bout Weller, if he was truly modernist artiste would he be looking/sounding like a faces wannabee, but most things have stood still since bout 79.Thought it was about pushing things on, but Dublin seems like a retro revival reminisceing back in the day thing.
Dont worry bout the snide comments, be yourself, but lets get some positive vibes going mate

My past is not my future

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 25 11 1:29 AM

Thats it Danny, fucking wannabes but i have lost the positive thing going out when i have to look at these people it makes me fucking mad, and i want to do stupid things but im am a 50 year old man going on like a child your right i need to think positive mate !!!!!

ps I do like what you sais Mod is being elitist in a working class way !!

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 25 11 4:46 AM

hey Joe with ya bout Weller, if he was truly modernist artiste would he be looking/sounding like a faces wannabee

????????
nonsense, Weller not a Mod ???
You may not like him which is fair enough, but without getting into his musical catalogue,
or his various incarnations, from1974 till now, or his untold influence on young Mods from the revival till now. He cant be dismissed as a" faces wannabe" ,that has to be a joke

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 26 11 3:23 AM

He's not the one that calls himself The modfather. thats a media invention.
if there is a Modfather in my opinion its Georgie Fame.
That aside, if you dont like Weller, thats perfectly fine. Loads of Mods dont like him.
Plenty More like myself Do.
Each to their own, if we all agreed on everything , what would be the point?? it would be boring.
I only have a problem when Weller is dismissed as something irrelevent. when clearly he's not.
As for him being a joke these days, I dont agree.
Yes I prefer his Jam stuff, early Style council and early to mid 90's recordings.
But i think he still put's out some great sounds. Wake up the nation being one.
anyway Mate "Vie la Difference" as they say

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

May 26 11 3:45 AM

He's not the one that calls himself The modfather. thats a media invention.if there is a Modfather in my opinion its Georgie Fame.That aside, if you dont like Weller, thats perfectly fine. Loads of Mods dont like him.Plenty More like myself Do.Each to their own, if we all agreed on everything , what would be the point?? it would be boring.I only have a problem when Weller is dismissed as something irrelevent. when clearly he's not.As for him being a joke these days, I dont agree.Yes I prefer his Jam stuff, early Style council and early to mid 90's recordings.But i think he still put's out some great sounds. Wake up the nation being one.anyway Mate "Vie la Difference" as they say

-johnd

Love ya john strait out with it now that's the kind of people i like, 

Quote    Reply   

sleeplessnights

Got me parka now

#12 [url]

Jun 11 11 4:54 PM

I'm older than Joe, so from my mod view late 6ts early 7ts Weller was/is irelevant. can see his revivalist appeal tho, then again thought being original/progressive was the thing

My past is not my future

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jun 12 11 6:18 AM

I'm older than Joe, so from my mod view late 6ts early 7ts Weller was/is irelevant. can see his revivalist appeal tho, then again thought being original/progressive was the thing

-sleeplessnights

Well said Bro, there is not much in our age, by the way, but i came to a age that i gave up being a mod, but as Paul, said i was born a punk, i will die a punk, lol but i was born as me and i will go out as me !!

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jun 12 11 1:52 PM

-sleeplessnights

well do you mean original /progressive  the Original Mods are the only true Mods??
if so why were/ are you a Mod at all?
if thats not what you mean, then I would say Weller is very original.
I'm not a revivalist, although I have been a Mod since 79.
what type of music gets played at sleepless nights?

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jun 13 11 1:29 AM

well do you mean original /progressive  the Original Mods are the only true Mods??if so why were/ are you a Mod at all?if thats not what you mean, then I would say Weller is very original.I'm not a revivalist, although I have been a Mod since 79.what type of music gets played at sleepless nights?

-johnd

john Sleepless Nights play very good sounds and its a great Club with the best of people too, i will let Danny ancer the Q of what kind of music he plays it dam good in my books !!!

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jun 13 11 5:11 AM

Joe I've no doubt the sleepless nights lads are good people, I've heard nothing but good reports. The reason I asked about the music policy is to get an idea of whats original/progressive.
Personaly I love modern Mod type Bands, and I would put Weller in that catogory. I also even more so like to listen to Soul/RnB/ Blues/Ska/Jazz but that side of things maybe frowned on as being retro,

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jun 13 11 6:52 AM

Joe I've no doubt the sleepless nights lads are good people, I've heard nothing but good reports. The reason I asked about the music policy is to get an idea of whats original/progressive.Personaly I love modern Mod type Bands, and I would put Weller in that catogory. I also even more so like to listen to Soul/RnB/ Blues/Ska/Jazz but that side of things maybe frowned on as being retro,

-johnd

john have a look 

http://sleeplessnightsns.tripod.com/

Quote    Reply   

northsideriviera

Got me parka now

#20 [url]

Jun 17 11 1:04 AM

Good thread this. I think Mod is mainly a working class thing but not exclusively, I know quite a few who come from middle class backgrounds too, and without getting into the whole debate on Marx and class structures, I think we can safely agree that nearly all Mods are regular, ordinary everyday people. Snobbiness is something that always exists with people regardless of social standing, its human nature and its prevalent on the mod scene and I think a certain amount of it is a good thing. I quite like the one-up-manship that goes with it. Its nice to have (or strive to have) the best clothes,the best dance moves, the best records etc. It exists in all scenes too, punks wanting the best mohican, ravers wanting the newest mix of a particular 12", hip hoppers out doing each other with their quick witted rhymes, and so on and so on.
Someone else on this thread said its like looking for acceptance off your peers. I agree there. When a Mod whose style i admire pays me a compliment, I take it seriously, if I get a criticism I take it even more seriously.(and believe me I have made many fashion errors thru the years). And when somebody whose style I dont like slags me off !! I take that as a compliment. Its a funny old scene.
I think the main point is to never act like you know everything, because you dont. I also genuinely think that the mod scene has to move forward and evolve, the past is in the past and rehashing the past over and over again doesnt do us any favours. There are very few younger people coming to mod and soul nights at the moment, there are a few, but not enough. And there are plenty of young mods out there and i know several of them. They generally prefer going to gigs and watching live music played by young people for young people, amongst young people, stories about what went on in the late 7ts and 8ts doesnt impress them because its irrelevant to them.
I love the mod thing, I love the music, the clothes, the attitude, everything about it appeals. The past wasnt bad but the future is even better. I think we only give out about the scene cos we love it so much.
Thats it - rant over.
by the way- Gilly- I disagree with your comment about GANT , they do lovely shirts, classy button downs,,, pure Ivy League , sharp as fuck, ooooo yyyyeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhh

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help