Remove this ad

jmoran

One of the Faces

Lead

Mar 1 11 5:48 AM

Tags : :

Lads - what decent tailors are still going in DUblin - Bill tells me that Dennis Darcy is closing shop and has stopped taking orders. Where else is worth a try?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

jmoran

One of the Faces

#2 [url]

Mar 2 11 1:54 AM

ah Joe , theres so many things on these days that i need to constantly either buy new pieces or regurgitate already owned items into new outfits (that makes me sound like a woman).

i did an objective clear out of my wardrobe at the weekend. dumped a load of bits that i will never wear again (would have offered them here but even for my slim frame they were a bit too tight). so i am left with my work clothes (think Man from M&S trousers and some work shirts) and a rather depleted collection of diverse bits and pieces.

this month and next i am out almost every weekend so need to be turning up looking a bit different - you know how it is wink

Quote    Reply   

jmoran

One of the Faces

#4 [url]

Apr 6 11 12:32 AM

on this subject i went into Louis Copeland on Pembroke street and spoke with Adrian (louis brother). he qwuoted my circa 1200 for a whistle, 850 for a DB Jacket and 250 for a pair of strides. Very knowledgable about Mod styles but all the same , for that amount of Money i could get my back garden landscaped. the search goes on

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 6 11 12:25 PM

Jaysus Joe, that's some amount of lids he's looking for. No wonder Bertie 'crook' Ahern shops there devil

On a related matter,

The pants you were wearing at the afternoon set last Saturday, can you reveal where you purchased or did you buy material and have them tailored. They were fab......look a bit like the gear from Mendoza in London's Brick Lane?????

Quote    Reply   

colliec

One of the Faces

#6 [url]

Apr 7 11 12:51 AM

Agreed €1200 is mad money, but following on from Joe original question if any knows of a tailor that is decent could they post it here,
as I was telling a few on here I got a few suits tailored in Thailand when I was on honeymoon and that could be an option if you could find a tailor on the the internet and have the suit shipped over.

Quote    Reply   

jmoran

One of the Faces

#7 [url]

Apr 7 11 1:11 AM

I spoke to Bill Kealy ref Dennis Darcy and i think that he was quoting not too much less so it looks like thats the going rate.....i have heard of another place that is doing MTM but i havent been able to get in to talk to them yet. Pricewiese i have heard that the suits start at about the same as DNA however i have not seen the quality nor seen the range of cloth they have. I'm a bit dubious but i will try get over to them on saturday and suss them out

GIlly - thanks for the comment on the pants....believe it or not i bought them in H&M about six months ago. i think they cost me in the region of 40/50 euro. H&M is one of my regular stops - they dont often have much in but sometimes they have some cracking lines. the only thing is that they dont hold stock so they literally put everything out on the rails - when its gone, its gone.

Collie - theres a guy called noontailor who visits belfast/dublin oftentimes. a few of the belfast lads swear by him. the only problem i would have is that the measurements would need to be bang on as  once he leaves the country and begins work on the suit how do you get a second fitting???

i also heard tell of a shirt maker and the reports i heard back are that she is damm good. more info to follow.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 7 11 4:42 AM

yeh just watch that noontailor, because I know Marty Mac has 4 or 5 suits by him
which are great quality (as I've seen them) they only cost 400 sterling with 2 free shirts thrown in
(also tailored) The only problem is a mate of mine from Derry ordered one of him and it never came then eventualy the wrong suit turned up!!!
I think its since been sorted, but its just a word of warning

Always checkout the shoes

Quote    Reply   

colliec

One of the Faces

#9 [url]

Apr 7 11 8:02 AM

John with regards to noon tailor did you mates give him pictures or diagrams of Mod Style suits , since my post this morning I sent noon tailor  an e mail asking him for dates they are over and a price for a suit. and his been back to me looking for how many I want etc,

Joe I would be interested in hearing what you think of the other tailors if you get a chance on Sat to check them out.

Quote    Reply   

jmoran

One of the Faces

#10 [url]

Apr 7 11 8:22 AM

i will of course report back once i have done the research....if i smell a rat then i will shy away...i think the crunch will be the material quality....

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Apr 7 11 1:09 PM

John with regards to noon tailor did you mates give him pictures or diagrams of Mod Style suits , since my post this morning I sent noon tailor  an e mail asking him for dates they are over and a price for a suit. and his been back to me looking for how many I want etc,
Joe I would be interested in hearing what you think of the other tailors if you get a chance on Sat to check them out.

-colliec

Yeh Collie , you have to be VERY specific.
Tell him the size of lapels, tell him the spacing for your buttons, ticket pocket,side vents etc etc
leave nothing out, from what I've been told he would'nt be a Mod tailor ,so needs a firm direction.
but once thats done the results are good, judging by Mart mac suits anyway.
personaly I'm hopeing to check out a tailor I've heard about in Glasgow over the summer.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Quote    Reply   

colliec

One of the Faces

#12 [url]

Apr 11 11 1:15 AM

Hi Noon tailor sent an e mail to me over the Weekend he said he is in Belfast & Dublin some time in the Third week of April, he did not give an exact date. He gave me a price of €620 for two Wool suits & Two shirts.
That is very good considering a wool suit from Adam of London and Jump the Gun are £299 sterling.
However like Johnd says above you would really need to be specific about what you want.

Im not going to buy from him this time as Im a bit skint but if he comes over later in the year I will consider getting one made.

He has a web site if any one is interested in getting in touch with him for his next visit in a few weeks

Quote    Reply   

colliec

One of the Faces

#19 [url]

May 3 11 1:28 AM

Collie - let us know the deetails after you contact them - prices, fabrics  etc.

-jmoran

The Tailor in Longford has got back to me, on my first e mail enquiry he gave me the following reply

Our prices for two-piece made to measure suits start from 400euro. I hope
this helps.

so then I sent him a Link to Adam of London website so as to give him an idea of the style of suit, type of material etc and his reply was

The style of the suits in the link and not too differnet form many other suits, so replicating this style is not a problem - they basically look waisted, button three and have an extra outside ticket pocket. The actual style of the suit you decide on doesn't really effect the price, just the fabric...

...The write-up on the suits refers to the the material as kid mohar/ wool mix. We do have a mohar pattern book, to getting this farbric is also not a problem. Mohar however is expensive, and for a two-piece suit you'd bee loooking at about 550euro! If the type of material was not that important, you could always sub the mohar for something in a lower price range!

So overall sounds interesting and the prices quoted are expensive but not as high as being previously mentioned on this thread.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

May 3 11 3:15 AM

That price seems good Collie.
But maybe go for a cheaper material first, to see what his works like.
and if your happy then get the Mohair

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help