Remove this ad

donie

One of the Faces

Lead

Mar 21 13 10:43 AM

Tags : :

Saw a good topic discussion on another forum. Is there two types of mod? People who called themselves mods or people who claim to be modernists. 
Mods who may like to dress a certain way and listen to The Who, The Jam etc .

Modernist who dress in there certain way and listen to Jazz, 60'S R&B etc and take Mod to the top levels.

I defiantly think there is a big difference between the 2. I have seen modernist grow more and more in recent years and it now seems to have been taken to an extreme level. The Dean Chalkley video the new faces really shows where modernist has gone. It is where I am drifting towards as I discover more and more music and clothing. I don't think I will ever get to where the guys in that video are or whether I would want to become that snobby. I still like wearing my desert boots and Fred Perrys and also listening to the Jam from time to time but I also like my Dna Grove clothing and John Smedley knitwear and real 60's R&B.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 21 13 2:36 PM

I consider myself a bit of both. If I were younger I'd be more like the guys in Dean Chalkey's vid.
As when i was younger I was obsessed with a capital O.. and I would say I was very intolerant of people that in my eyes that got it wrong..
Now how ever I'm happy in my self and love being what I am. I like to seek out sharp clothes and make an effort everyday not just at the weekends or not just for do's.But I see nothing wrong with wearing a Fred perry , dessies for the casual look. I'm a Mod , but (and maybe this is a bit snobby) I would be a Modernist compared to some fecking Scooterboy types that call themselves Mods and have'nt moved past time for action..
thinking about it there are probably more than 2 types of Mod...  as Eddie piller is so fond of saying its a very broad church.
But some of the people that think they're Mods should be excommunicated..

Always checkout the shoes

Quote    Reply   

reverandduffer

One of the Numbers

#2 [url]

Apr 15 13 12:42 AM

Is Modernism or Mod about wearing a uniform or only listening to whatever type of music/band that so-called 'real' Mods tell you to? Is it not more about being an individual...all be it as part of a particular movement? I listen to all types of music...prefer Soul, 'real' R'n'B but if it's a good tune..then it's a good tune!!! However, if we are to develope as individuals then do we not have to maintain an open mind? I love the old Mod images from the 60's but I refuse to be an extra from Quadrophenia. As Weller said 'it's better to be cool than fashionable' and Weller himself has moved away from the three button black suit whilst still maintaining the Mod ideal. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. Being a Mod at all in this day and age is being individual but that doesn't mean that all the individuals have to be/look the same. Where's the appeal in that?

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 15 13 1:19 AM

Good thread fella......i suppose you could tie this topic into others on here about whether or not you should wear a parka. I had an interesting chat with a Sociologist recently who stated that yes, Mods are being different from mainstream society but what differences exist between Mods as individuals? In other words, she was arguing that Mods may not conform to mainstream societies rules on how do dress, but all they (Mods) are doing is creating their own sub-culture and abiding by those rules.

There's a great line in Quadrophenia's 'The Dirty Jobs' with a line that says "ain't it funny how we all seem to look the same"......it's a great phrase. I don't feel that I am conforming to a certain look; to say and accept the word conform means that you must feel some power, force or coercion to dress in a particualr way. I dress this way because I want to dress this way. That said, I also want to have something that marks you out as an individual within such movements. So, clothes that may fall outside the strict Mod guidelines or music for that matter is fine by me......it's the way you pull things off I suppose that really matters.

To be honest the Weller fella has been wearing clobber, particularly in the last few years that you wouldn't strictly call Mod but it's the way he does it that counts.

Quote    Reply   

reverandduffer

One of the Numbers

#4 [url]

Apr 15 13 1:55 PM

Well said. I like the Mod look and I like 'Mod' music. If I didn't I wouldn't be here. I was talking to a mate recently who works with he described as an 'ageing Mod' and they were talking about the upcoming Who gig. The ageing Mod said that he had no intention of going coz he believed that the Who sold out when they left Mod behind. I think to think that way is just limiting yourself and not being able to appreciate the great tunes Townsend wrote after he moved away from purely Mod thinking. I have been reading his autobiography lately too and his influences are quite wide ranging, as are Weller's. I read the other posts about Parks too and have to agree with some of what was said there also. I have a parka and only wear it on the scooter but that's not to say that I won't were it when the scooters in the garage but I have a couple of nice coats that I prefer to wear instead. Mod to me is about an attitude as much as a look or a type of music. It's about a way of carrying yourself, about a desire to stand out but to also belong. I also dress this way because I want to and will wear what I feel like wearing on any given day. I like to be identified as a Mod, especially these days when they appear to be few and far between and so many people conform to what society says they should. That is definitely not me!! Great site/forum by the way some very interesting topics covered and points raised.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help